Umeå, Sweden

DSCN0305 DSCN0310 DSCN0330 DSCN0336

It was a long day on Friday when I took the passenger ship (in the 4th picture) to Sweden. One trip lasts four and a half hours and we started at 9 am. Already shortly after 8 am I was at the harbor waiting to get on board. I had to take a taxi there because the buses don’t drive to the harbor as they did earlier.

I spent my time on the ship reading, cross stitching and solving cross words. 🙂 I also visited the little shop they have on the ship and I eat meatballs, mashed potatoes and lingon berry jam in the restaurant. I did see my brother a few times during the trip and going back in the evening. I went outside on the sun deck and took a few picture of the water and the sun (1st picture). At one point that was all you could see… Water and sky!

The bus took me from Holmsund (where the ship stops) to Umeå in about 30 minutes. I got a little more than three hours walking around in the town. I went to some shops and eat at a restaurant. I also went down to the water that flows through the town. I found a statue of the founder (2nd picture). While waiting for the bus I went to a nearby park where they had small bridges, a little water and lots of flowers along a path (3rd picture). It was a park dedicated to the friend towns that Umeå has around the world. Vasa is actually one of Umeå’s friend towns.

It was pretty warm and a little cloudy. I think it was around +17 Celsius degrees. It was on the edge – should I or should I not take the jacket off and walk around in my t-shirt… I kept the jacket on, because it took up so much space in my backpack. I did have it in my backpack earlier in the day on the ship.

The bus back to Holmsund left at 4.30 pm. They actually had one large bus and one mini bus (that took 20 people). I chose to go with the mini bus and we were much faster at the harbor than the others. I took the picture of the ship (4th picture) through the window while waiting to get on board. My feet were really tired and hurt while I waited for the entering of the ship in Holmsund. 😦

The trip back to Vasa I spent pretty much in the same way as earlier in the day. Reading, cross stitching, solving cross words. But I didn’t eat any food this time. The waves were higher in the evening and it felt while walking. I did not like the waves and at the open sea where the waves were the highest I did feel a little nausea. But I started feeling better when we got closer to Vasa where the waves are smaller.

A taxi was waiting for me when the ship arrived in Vasa. I was home at 20 minutes before midnight. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s